Kino Lorber EDU provides a variety of licensing to suit all needs. Our standard institutional licensing packages are designed to provide colleges, universities and qualified non-profits with the best value for multiple uses, and our one-time community screening licenses allow any organization to exhibit high-quality films for a reasonable fee. Please note that all licensing carries restrictions on audience numbers and/or geographic range.


CLASSROOM RIGHTS allow unlimited use in face-to-face classroom situations for the life of the media, restricted to a single campus or location. Please note that this license doesn't include public screenings or digital transmission of any kind.

PUBLIC PERFORMANCE RIGHTS (PPR) allow educational and nonprofit groups to exhibit our films to groups of 100 or fewer individuals where admission is not charged. The term of the public performance license is for the life of the DVD. However, if you intend to charge admission, expect an audience over 100, or publicly advertise the screening, then we ask that you contact us regarding an exhibition fee. Films purchased without Public Performance Rights are restricted for individual viewing or face-to-face teaching in the classroom only.

DIGITAL SITE LICENSES (DSL) allow colleges, universities and nonprofits to locally host and stream to their community on a closed, password-protected system for the life of the digital file.

K-12 PPR comes with limited performance rights so films can be shown in classrooms, at PTA meetings, during after school programs, and transmitted on a closed-circuit system within a K-12 school building or on a single campus. 


CUSTOM SCREENING LICENSES (price varies) provide any group with a one-time screening, with fees based on the number expected to attend (or size of venue) and whether you plan to charge admission.


Q. Do all licenses receive a disc?

A. All licenses include a copy of the film on a DVD or Blu-ray. If the title is a new release, the disc will be shipped when the DVD released, and an mp4 file will be provided in the meantime. If you want to purchase a license but not receive a copy of the disc, please email [email protected] and we can prevent shipping of an a disc, and instead just supply the file.

Q. Are universities or libraries responsible for uploading the film onto a locally hosted server themselves or does Kino Lorber EDU upload the files for DSL?

A. The purchasing institution receives a DVD, and the right to encode the film for their own system. Upon request, Kino Lorber EDU will provide a download link to the encoded file at no additional charge. We do not provide hosting services

To receive a file after you purchase a DSL, please email [email protected] and include any file size requirements and captions requests.

Q. How long does a Digital Site License last?

A. All Digital Site Licenses we offer are available for the life of the digital file.

Q. How do I purchase from Kino Lorber EDU?

A. Standard institutional licenses can be obtained directly from our site by bonafide institutions. If you want to book a film for a community screening, contact Director of Educational Sales, Estelle Grosso at [email protected] with the title of the film, date you wish to hold a screening, the expected number of attendees, and whether you plan to charge admission.

Q. Do you offer closed captioning?

A. All EDU titles released in 2015 or after will contain closed captioning. If you require closed caps on a title purchased previously, please contact us – we’re in the process of captioning popular back-catalog titles, and we may be able to honor a request at no cost.

For answers to other questions, please contact us directly: [email protected]